Parcel Locker is an automated postal terminal or cell designed for sending, receiving and storing various items (letters, parcels, parcels, etc.). This is an innovative service that allows users to carry out postal transactions without visiting a traditional post office, and allows businesses to improve their own logistics.
Types of Parcel Lockers
There are two types of automated cells:
- OutDoor Parcel Lockers – devices that are installed in crowded places. They are protected from precipitation, moisture and other external factors.
- Parcel Lockers for premises – lockers that are installed in supermarkets, shopping centers, residential complexes, metro stations, etc.
Functions of automated lockers
The main tasks are:
- Sending parcels. Users can drop off parcels at OutDoor lockers (or those located on premises), register shipments and pay for services.
- Receiving parcels. People can receive their packages from Parcel Lockers using access codes or other means of identification.
- Parcel storage. Lockers provide secure temporary storage of parcels for recipients, allowing them to pick up packages at a convenient time.
Why Parcel Lockers are good for e-commerce
Why do online stores actively use automated cell networks? There are good reasons for this:
- This is convenient for buyers – they can choose a Parcel Locker that is convenient for them to receive goods, avoiding the need to be at home at a certain time for delivery and wait for the courier;
- Full automation of many processes – parcel lockers provide self-service capabilities, which corresponds to the trends of modern customer service, while receiving delivery is fully automated: customers can independently pick up their orders by entering access codes or using mobile applications;
- Privacy – Parcel lockers provide a higher level of privacy as customers access their packages using unique codes, without the need for passports or other forms of identification. This is also convenient for sending gifts;
- Process optimization – thanks to the Parcel Lockers network, online stores can easily optimize delivery processes and reduce logistics costs. Sending items to Parcel Lockers can be more efficient and cheaper than home delivery;
- Reduce order delivery failures – A network of automated drop boxes can reduce the number of delivery failures as customers can pick up their items at their convenience;
- Significant savings in business time and resources – using Parcel Lockers in an online store helps reduce delivery time and resources, which is important for effectively managing e-commerce processes.
The Future of Automated Parcel Lockers
Looking at the current situation, we can predict the following:
- Significant expansion of various networks of postal boxes for items in cities and smaller towns;
- Technology Development – Parcel Lockers will integrate with mobile apps, providing the ability to easily track and manage parcels via smartphones. And facial recognition technologies and biometric authentication methods can be used to improve security;
- Increasing the list of items that can be stored in lockers – for example, it could be food if the lockers are equipped with refrigeration devices.