A profession as a project manager is extremely rewarding. It’s a position that enables you to make a significant impact on a company’s bottom line. And, as the need for project-based work increases, the Project Management Institute forecasts that businesses will need to employ 2.2 million project-oriented positions until the year 2026.
Either you’re considering the conventional route and want to know which degree you’ll need to become an effective project manager, or you’re one of those hundreds of people trying to manage tasks on a daily basis and would like to enhance your managerial skills, we have summarised everything in this article that you need to know to become a successful project manager.
In this article, we will cover contents on –
1. What is Project Management?
2. The Project Manager’s Role
3. Skills Required to Become a Successful Project Manager
4. Strengthening your Career in Project Management
6. Author Bio
What is Project Management?
It is the technique and skill of overseeing the whole lifecycle of work and all of its elements. However, as anybody who has actually managed a project will attest, this straightforward description falls short of capturing the entire spectrum of what project managers accomplish.
Project management is critical in a wide variety of sectors, from technological innovation to pharmaceutical and healthcare research. Regardless of industry, all projects follow approximately the same five procedures, or phases:
The Project Manager’s Role
While the precise function and tasks of a project manager vary according to organization and industry, the majority of project managers are accountable for the same fundamental obligations. Some of them are:
Skills Required To Become A Successful Project Manager
1. Soft Skills
- : Among the most critical project management expertise is the ability to converse concisely. Along with the fundamentals of verbal communication, successful communication requires the ability to comprehend and interpret nonverbal indicators such as body gestures and facial expressions in order to manage teams effectively.
- : Project managers should successfully manage their coworkers’ time and efforts in order to guarantee that all tasks are done, critical timelines are met, and the project proceeds on schedule. This requires foresight to predict obstacles, and the ability to redistribute resources as needed.
- : Throughout the course of a project, conflicts will inevitably boil and disputes may erupt. This might occur amongst teammates or between partners. A project manager must be adept at negotiating these circumstances and resolving disputes in the team’s or stakeholders’ for the project’s best interests.
2. Hard Skills
- : Throughout the project’s lifecycle, project managers are responsible for maintaining the project’s allotted budget by reducing costs and changing resources as necessary.
- : Project Handling is about more than people and resources strategic planning; it is also about managing risks. Recognizing the team’s and project’s weak points, estimating the possibility and effect of a worst-case circumstance, and implementing contingency plans are all critical components of managing projects.
- : To implement the plan effectively, project managers must be knowledgeable about their industry or subject. It is nearly hard to handle a task if you have little to no knowledge of the details required in its completion.
Strengthening Your Career in Project Management
As your profession as a project manager progresses, you would either have the desire to certify your project management expertise or your company will request that you obtain one. The experience gained throughout training and examinations of certifications is invaluable. One of the most appreciated certifications is the PRINCE2 Training Certificate.
PRINCE2 is the most widely used project management methodology, being utilized by a large number of businesses worldwide.
The beauty of the PRINCE2 (Projects in Controlled Environments Version 2) approach is that it is adaptable and does not teach you a certain way of operating – it is more about developing a mentality to lead you than about following a rigid system of regulations. This implies that it is truly applicable to every project.
Key Features of PRINCE2
- It is concerned with the rationalization of business.
- It establishes the organizational framework for the project manager.
- It concentrates on a project-based framework for assessing tasks.
- It places a premium on the project’s segmentation into controlled and achievable stages.
- It enables flexibility to be deployed at a degree considered acceptable for the project.
How May PRINCE2 be advantageous to you?
One of the primary benefits of mastering PRINCE2 is that it could be used for any type of project in any industrial area. Because this technique is generally accepted and known, it establishes a common language for all experts participating in the project and serves as a road map to successful performance. This simplifies the notion for the management team, allowing them to develop and implement their concepts and valuable inputs using everyday language.
Crack the Interview with our updated Prince2 Interview Questions 2021 for Freshers and Experienced professionals.
The following is a list of the advantages of implementing PRINCE2 in a firm’s project management process:
1. Widely Recognised on a Global Scale – Although PRINCE2 commenced as a structure for IT software development, it was made with the purpose of extending its benefits to other areas of a business. Notably, PRINCE2 exams are accessible in 19 different languages. As can be seen, it is not only the certifications that are globally recognized; the PRINCE2 methodology is also well known. Thus, if a person holds a PRINCE2 Certification, he or she improves the likelihood of becoming a successful project manager.
2. Frequently Used Vocabulary – It is critical to realize that not just the certifications are accepted across countries and sectors. It’s worth noting that a digital committee of over 150 business and government agencies consults on PRINCE2. In other terms, PRINCE2 is the project management paradigm. Thus, if a person is excellent at managing all PRINCE2-related activities, they will have an advantage on their CV.
3. Designed to Deal with Uncertainty – Employees in numerous organizations appear to adore PRINCE2, as it prepares candidates for difficult times. It equips the employee with the necessary expertise to deal with crisis situations such as fulfilling deadlines. This also extends to downturns and internal business problems. Thus, if a business is experiencing difficulties, PRINCE2 may aid an individual in planning and implementing procedures in a systematic manner.
4. Ideal Starter Qualification – Considering all of the above, PRINCE2 is an excellent approach to grasp the foundations of managing projects. It may impart strong professional concepts and also prepare one to communicate effectively in the vocabulary of project management. Furthermore, PRINCE2 is not overly strict and is flexible in a variety of ways. As a result, it is progressively used for projects of any size.
PRINCE2 is world-renowned and is a useful project management certification. It equips you with the technique necessary to ensure the achievement of your goal as a project manager. Moreover, it follows a procedure that is well-known and understood in the corporate world.
If you are already involved in project administration or wish to become a manager later, PRINCE2 is an excellent methodology to start. The training is precisely what you need to enhance your abilities, advance your career chances, and achieve success in your industry.