Every industry has deliverables. They can be small and simple things or big and complicated tasks that need to be accomplished. Deliverables can range from a piece of document to a huge construction. It is when you turn over the deliverables to your clients that you get to mark the completion of your work project. Project deliverables are fundamental in any project as they indicate whether progress is being made.
In this article, we will look at what deliverables are, their importance, and a list of examples.
What is Project Deliverable?
Project deliverables are the products of any task you are doing or the creation you come up with to fulfill the project’s objectives. These elements take different forms, even though they are mostly tangible. It could be in the form of a report or a study in a hard copy.
However, this does not mean that we do not have intangible deliverables. deliverables may at times be in the form of service, which makes them intangible. For instance, if you have been contracted to conduct training, you are not the product, but your service is. Deliverables can also be classified into internal or external. Internal deliverables are those things that assist you in accomplishing the project objective. In simple terms, they are what you require to execute the given project.
On the other hand, external deliverables are those products you produce as the outcome to meet a consumer’s need. External deliverables are the purpose of the project being conducted. Deliverables can also be dependable in that once you have acquired one, you use it to build up to the next deliverable.
Simply put, project deliverables are the things that you show once you have completed a project. They help you realize that you have reached the winning line.
Why are Deliverables Important?
Project deliverables are fundamental in any project as they help you know whether the project/task you were undertaking were a success. They also help you know what you are working towards realizing. Therefore, they keep you motivated to work, knowing in mind what you are expected to deliver in the long run.
Also, as stated before, project deliverables can also act as an indicator of successful completion of a given project, as they are at tangible results indicating the finish line. They also allow you to reach the project objectives.
Completing the deliverables according to your intended schedule brings you closer to the project goal. Therefore, these elements determine the success of a given project and are normally given a higher priority by project managers.
How to Write a Good Project Deliverable
Deliverables originate from the project objectives. You need to identify alternative approaches which give you options. From these options, you will identify the best which will give rise to the deliverables. They are a testament to the successful completion of a given project.
Click Here to download 3000+ Project Management Documents: Complete Library of Project Management Templates, Processes, Plans, Checklists, Forms, Tools, Presentation Slides and Infographics. Suitable For All Industries.
You need to understand that all deliverables, whether project or process, have two components. These are the specific deliverable and their acceptance criteria. Before any deliverable can work, it must meet individual requirements to be accepted by both the client and the stakeholders.
When defining the right project deliverable, you will have to take a look at the project objective. This will help you figure out what needs to be done and the requirements before the deliverable is accepted. Therefore, take heed of the following:
- Project goal
You have to ask yourself what the project is trying to achieve. What is the purpose or end goal of a given project? What does the team or client want when a project is completed?
- Project objective
Do you understand what makes the project objectives? If you do, what are the forms and functions of each? In defining the right project variable, you need to break down the project into smaller parts while prioritizing each element. You need to ask yourself the importance of each part to the entire project, how to create/ acquire the part, and the overall cost of production.
The hardest step is gathering the requirements for the given deliverable. Keep in mind that you may be asked to make changes or revisions if the list is incomplete, which can increase the budget further and narrow your profits.
You can use different methods to gather requirements, ranging from simple to complex. The simplest ones are user observation, questionnaires, surveys, and interviews. You can also use focus groups and prototyping.
More complex means are process modeling and quality function deployment.
Project Deliverable Examples
Project Deliverables for Software Development Project
- User training. This is the process of taking the users through the software to get them acquainted with operating the system efficiently.
- User interface. This program allows a computer user to communicate with the computer to relay to the computer what they want to do or what they want from the computer.
- Data migration. This refers to transferring internal data from one storage system to another and may include preparing and extracting the data to changing the data to a different format.
- Backend development. Refers to the server-side of a website that is not seen and is responsible for storing and organizing data and ensuring that everything on the client’s side is working.
- Desktop applications. These are desktop software apps created to run on desktop computers, that is, PCs and laptops.
- Mobile apps. These are software apps meant to run on mobile phones and are for different purposes, such as gaming apps and social media apps such as Instagram.
- Web application. This computer program will allow a user to perform tasks over the internet by utilizing web browsers and technology.
- Consultation and services. This refers to offering analysis and advice to software companies on managing their systems, custom solutions and drive innovation to take the business to the next level.
- System prototype. This is the first model of the system to be made. The trial-and-error version will give a clear picture of how the existing system will look when complete.
- Risk monitoring and control tools. These are the software tools to detect any risk in running the software and find means of managing the risk to stop it from slowing down the software.
- System design. This is a layout of what the software is expected to look like and may keep changing in different stages as the software is being developed.
Project Deliverables for IT Infrastructure Project
- Warranty documents. These are to cater for failure or defects in case of breaks, cable failures, or any other issues.
- Pictures. For clarity when setting up the project and helping those who will maintain the networks in the future.
- As-built drawings. These are drawings to give a blueprint of how the cables were installed and labeled to have a clear picture of the network installation.
- Test results. To prove that cabling and all fibers used are tested and certified to be appropriate for use.
- Project reports. To indicate activities carried out during the project.
Project Deliverables for Telecommunication Project
- Survey reports. These are documents that present all information gathered and all results collected during a telecommunication project study.
- Tower loading analysis. This is an analysis breakdown of the dynamics likely to affect the loading of a tower in its working lifetime.
- Construction photos. Pictures to document the setup and also assist those who will do future maintenance.
- Permits. These are the legal authorities that allow the installation of the telecommunication lines or any other projects is undertaken.
- As-built drawings. To give a blueprint of the installations and labeling used for clarity.
Project Deliverables for Construction Project
- Design drawings. These are drawings that most designers use to visually demonstrate construction information and use specs to illustrate the material, techniques, and standards required to develop a design.
- Proposals. In the construction field, these are bids that you put out with the intention of getting awarded/winning a business. It could be a competitive bid for concept designs or quotes from suppliers.
- Building permits. This refers to the legal authorization to perform a specified type of construction, and that is granted by the local building authority.
- A building. At the end of a construction project, the expected end result may be a complete and finished building such as apartments, schools, or hospitals.
- Project report. These are reports that indicate a project’s activities without getting into many details and may include the equipment used, safety measures, and labor used.
Project Deliverables for Manufacturing Project
- Clothing. Manufacturers may source for raw materials to produce clothing.
- Sourcing for raw materials. For a manufacturer to produce anything, they will require raw materials, which may be assigned to someone in the company or get a supplier.
- Food products. Food or related food products are final products that reach the consumer that are considered as deliverables.
- Filing taxes. If a manufacturer is in operation, they must file taxes if this is an internal deliverable.
- Managing accounts. This will involve bookkeeping to know all the transactions and if it is losses or profits being recorded.
Project Deliverables for Oil and Gas Project
- Equipment list. This is a list of all equipment required for the whole process, from the drilling to the extraction.
- Piping and Instrument Diagrams. These are drawings to help understand how the layout will be and get a clear picture before starting the project.
- Process and design calculations. These are the calculations done beforehand to determine the precise requirements needed for the project to flow seamlessly.
- Performance test procedure. To ascertain that everything used in the project has been tested and verified.
- Equipment installation plan. This is a layout to guide the engineers on where all equipment will be placed and offer clarity to those who will be doing maintenance.
- Grounding layouts. These are documents to show how the ground’s layout is expected to look like and know if any obstructions need to be cleared from the site.
- Environmental impact assessment. This will be a report prepared based on an evaluation of how the extraction or drilling process will affect the environment.
- Emergency shut down philosophy. This plan is prepared to shut down the whole system in case of an emergency since oil and gas are very delicate substances to handle.
- Process flow diagrams. These are drawings to show how the oil or gas is to flow.
- Piping stress calculation. These are calculations done beforehand to determine the amount of stress that will be on the pipes after installation to choose the best way to install.
- Piping support drawings and lists. This is a list of the material that will be needed to support the pipes once they are laid down and illustrations of how the pipes will be held up.
Deliverables are what drive every business and industry and what determines whether you stay in business or not. Project deliverables are crucial as they help you establish whether the projects you are conducting are a success or not. Project deliverables are what help you ensure that the project objectives are met.
Remember to ensure that the project objectives are well-defined and clear. They should be brief and straight to the point. It is essential to have specific objectives to ensure there is no room for misinterpretation and that everyone in the team is working to realize a common goal. They should also be measurable and challenging to encourage you to step out of your comfort zone. However, ensure that they are attainable by setting realistic objectives and having a timeline for achieving them.
I hope that this article has been insightful and helped you realize that no matter the size of the task or project, there are always results expected at the end. They can be a tangible product or a service and maybe big or small.