If you enjoy dealing with the fast-paced environment of working at a warehouse and have great organizational and management skills, then Package Handler is the right choice for your job! In this article, we will be sharing some of the questions with answers that you might be asked in your interview as a Package Handler.
1. Why Are You Interested In This Role?
I’m interested in working for your organization because I admire your passion for high-quality deliveries and your success in excellent customer service. Also, I’d like to serve as a package handler since I enjoy fast-paced, active work environments. Many people confuse the job roles between a mail carrier and a package handler but the only difference is that package handlers do not drive delivery trucks.
2. What Are The Roles Of A Package Handler?
- To start, understand the labels used on the packaging because that will help in sorting the packaging and routing them correctly.
- Record keeping of items that have been packed and moved.
- Manually loading the packages into vehicles. It can be from the truck to the client or from one truck to another. It depends on the nature of the warehouse where you are working.
- Safe handling of all packages at all times
- Ensuring on-time delivery of goods because everyone wants a package to be delivered on time and without damage.
- For tracking purposes, all packages should be scanned. Use scanners to track parcel information, such as receipt or condition.
3. What Are The Qualities That A Package Handler Needs To Be Successful?
Having experience in warehouse procedures is a brownie point for any associate. Overall, an associate must have attention to detail to make sure items are stocked and can order can be processed. Also, the associate must know how to read and fulfill work orders. For physical qualities, an associate should be able to lift heavy objects and work in a loud environment. The role also demands physical stamina since he has to stand or walk for up to a minimum of 8 hours every day. This job requires good coordination between arms and hands so that package can be moved at speed to the required location. The package can be of any size and weight so physical strength is important. Another important skill is good customer service to make sure customers are happy!
4. What Major Challenges Did You Face During Your Last Role? How Did You Manage Them?
I had long working hours in my previous role that declined my physical health. I was working 8 hours and was easily managing the tasks but for three consecutive months, the warehouse faced a shortage of staff. For this, my working hours increased. I spoke to my supervisor in this regard and he also understood that long hours are declining my efficiency at work. Together, we reworked the shift plan for all fulfillment staff and it worked work for everyone. I believe that it is important to take your supervisor in confidence regarding any work-related problem so that your productivity is not at stake due to any issue. Good communication between the teams is important!
5. Describe Your Daily Routine As A Package Handler?
Every day is different depending on the shipment received. The common routine activities are scanning and confirming package arrival, condition, weight, and destination at the warehouse. I also coordinate daily work strategies following oral and written instructions to properly move and load products. The majority of my shift is in the warehouse, sorting through and scanning packages for deliveries.
6. Describe Briefly About Your Experience?
After getting my diploma, I joined UPS as a Package Handler in 2016. I was in charge of loading and loading packages from long bed delivery trucks and trailer trucks. In a year, I got a better opportunity at FedEx where I loaded trucks using RF Scan Gun. I also sorted packages based on zip codes for smooth operations. My experience has given me a lot of learning and exposure. I have been able to upscale my skills and technical knowledge in this field. Working at two international logistic services, UPS and FedEx gave me great exposure that I am sure I can utilize here and teach my fellow members too.
7. What Kind Of Strategies And Mindset Are Required For This Role?
To excel in this role, attention to detail is the primary skill needed. To read the complete order to go into logistics, an associate must have high observation and organization, and clear thinking. Also, one must make sure that they focus while they are on the job. A little distraction in your mind can create a problem for you. A relaxed and focused mind is the key requirement to excel in this career.
8. What Is The Biggest Challenge You Foresee In This Job?
The biggest challenge in this role is maintaining your physical health because your 8 hours require the best of your stamina to work. I believe that if organizations and all workforces focus on this, this challenge can be overcome easily. I always make sure I keep myself fit and avoid any sort of dangerous activity like smoking because it is going to decrease my stamina for doing a physical activity which is the basic requirement of this job.
9. How Do You Stay Motivated At Work?
Achieving my set targets every day keeps me motivated at this job. I make sure that I can keep the pace at work while fulfilling my duty and I can work well with my team members.
10. Describe A Time You Failed In This Role And The Lesson You Learned?
In my career start, I overcommitted the unloading goal for a shipment that had arrived overnight. It was humanly impossible to achieve and I started getting burnt out. My supervisor appreciated the enthusiasm I had but also told me to stop being a robot. I learned that slowly and steadily does win the race after all. I need to make sure that I don’t overcommit and ignore the perfection I can provide with a calm mind.
11. Why Do You Feel You Are Qualified For This Role?
I have experience working in a warehouse setup and I feel that I can apply my learning and skills at this organization too. I have good organization and time management skill that gives me a brownie point for getting this job.
12. Share With Us Your Greatest Achievement
In my previous role, I had several achievements on me as I was an efficient resource. At FedEx, I was loading and unloading packages from up to five delivery vehicles each day. I also made notes of damaged packaging during the sorting process and informed relevant teams about this. I also managed efficient transportation of over 10 heavy packages each day across the state.
13. Do You Have OSHA Forklift Certification? What Is OSHA 30 Hour Training Includes?
Yes, I have the certification to operate a fork lifter. Taking the OSHA 30 hour training course is an educational course to help you get certified with a forklift. The training for OSHA 30 Hour includes:
- Occupational safety.
- Forklift training safety.
- How to properly drive a forklift.
- Safety rules and regulations.
- Hazard reporting in the area of work.
- How to be safe while in the workplace.
14. What Are The Different Types Of Pallet Racks Used In Warehouses?
- Selective Pallet Racks –It is one the most popular style used in warehouses across the globe. With its use, the floor space is utilized to the maximum, and load and unload time is minimized. Businesses with large SKUs in terms of variety prefer this.
- Pallet Flow Pallet Racks -Saves both labor and floor space by providing high-density storage with multiple order picking levels. It is ideal for storing perishable goods.
- Push Back Pallet Racks – Designed for high-density, multiple-product storage that minimizes your space requirements while still providing excellent selectivity.
- Drive-In and Drive-Thru Pallet Racks –They are popular in businesses that store large volumes but the same product in their warehouse.
- Drive-In pallet racks use the same entry and exit point on each aisle to access your goods.
- Drive-Thru pallet racks – You can access your goods from both the front and back of each aisle.
- Carton Flow Pallet Racks – Ideal for operations involving a large volume of picking. The product is loaded at the back and picked at the front of the system.
- Cantilever Pallet Racks –Ideal for products that are bulky
15. What Is The Difference Between Forklift And Dock Lift?
To transfer heavy material to the warehouse or manufacturing side, forklifts are used for handling purposes. Pallets or platforms of loads may be placed inside a forklift as long as the equipment’s capacity permits it. There are 3 available types of forklifts that include manual drive, fork truck, and powered drive.
Dock lifts on the other hand are types of work platforms relevant to lower or raise a certain set of materials, workpieces, and even people to position them in their proper spaces. They are commonly used in automotive and garage services, construction, telecommunications, inventory management, and cable industries.
16. What Are The Different Types Of Loading Ramps Commonly Used In Warehouses?
- A fixed ramp that is used at homes too is also used at loading docks.
- Semi-permanent ramps are used at locations where there is little movement required. For example, bad weather can be a reason to use these semi-permanent solutions.
- Portable loading is the most commonly used ramp in warehouses. They are attached to the vehicle and can easily be used at the destination of the shipment. It is indeed an efficient solution for the safe loading and unloading of items. It also saves space because you can easily fold it when it’s not being used.
17. Are You In Favour Of Security Cameras To Monitor Unloading And Loading?
Security cameras at the loading dock can help promote safety within your business so that something of yours does not just happen to walk out the door or in the door that is not supposed to.
18. What Is Your Tip On How To Handle Packages In The Time Of COVID-19?
Ensure your safety at this time. You can give it a quick wipe down with disinfectant wipes. Also, make sure you’re washing your hands after having contact with any packages that come from outside your home.
19. Why Is It Important To Use Protective Packaging?
Using the right sort of protective packaging will dramatically reduce the number of orders that are damaged in transit. This in turn will reduce the number of returns, and reduce customer dissatisfaction. As there are fewer returns, there will be fewer resources and costs spent on sourcing and replacing damaged goods.
20. What Are The Primary Types Of Packaging?
There are three primary types of packaging: primary, secondary, and tertiary packaging. Primary packaging is the smallest unit of the package and typically is in direct contact with the product. Primary packaging typically only contains one item and is sold or displayed in this very package. Secondary packaging is the type of packaging that a few of the primary packaging arrives in. Typically, secondary packaging consists of a corrugated cardboard box that contains a few smaller items of the same sort. Finally, tertiary packaging is most often a larger cardboard box that contains an assortment of secondary packaging boxes. The function of tertiary packaging is to help to ship and receiving departments process large orders efficiently.
21. What Are The 3 Primary Steps Of Order Processing?
First, there should be a slip on the package that mentions the warehouse location, material that is inside along with the quantity and instructions if any. Instructions may include fragile or placement requirements for the liquid products. It is important that the package reaches the customer in perfect condition. The instruction on the package should be followed because it ensures the safety of the item inside the package.
22. What Is The Primary Role Of Pick And Pack Staff?
Pickers are trained specifically to look at your order manifests, find the bins or internal SKUs containing the appropriate items, and get them ready for shipping. The picker will then turn the order over to another specialized worker, who will take things from there. They then go about fulfilling the subsequent order.
Packers check that all the items on the manifest have been collected, providing you with a second pair of eyes to ensure that nothing was overlooked. After confirming that all of the items are present and correct, the packer carries out the packaging process, which in most cases includes affixing a packing slip. Finally, the packer labels the package accordingly, including its destination address and any special instructions regarding how the package is to be shipped. Experienced packers know when packages should be labeled handle with care or fragile, and take those concerns out of your hands.
23. What Is A Do?
It is a standard document i.e. delivery order. The document ensures that all items match the quality and quantity of the purchase. With the DO, you receive the right amount of things you send/receive. At the warehouse, a DO is written and signed off by the supplier or even the sender. The items are double-checked and the quantity has matched the requirement.
24. What Are The Advantages Of Using Pallet Racks?
- The first advantage and most important one is that it creates a better space for any operation.
- At the inventory level, It provides better SKU management which is a plus at a warehouse.
- It also improves the picking operation in orders
- It has been noted that it gives a chance to deliver on time and complete products in an order.
- The products are also saved from any damages that may occur in any other placement.
- From a management point of view, it lowers the labor cost.
25. What Is An Efficient Way Of Order Packing Operation?
- Preprinted pack slip – Operators pick a preprinted slip instead of waiting on one to print, which often leads to a bottleneck in the packing process.
- Automated taper – The conveyor feeds an automated taper that folds the flaps of the box and applies tape.
- Inline scale – Here package weight can be captured quickly.
- Tamp machine – The shipping label is automatically printed and applied to the package.
- Verification scan – The shipping label and box are scanned to confirm the match
- Automated confirmation – Another check is done to confirm if the shipping weight matches the system’s estimated weight within a specified tolerance.
Be confident and smile as you give your interview. Make sure you have a hard copy of your resume in hand that mentions all your previous and updated responsibilities and educational records. An un-updated resume is simply a negative point because it shows your lack of professionalism. These 25 questions are surely going to help in acing the first round of interviews as a Package Handler. Good luck!