If you are preparing for an Informatica interview, we’ve got you covered. Below is a list of the most common questions that interviewers ask during Informatica interviews. We have also provided a sample answer to each question to help you know the best way to respond and prepare adequately for your next interview.
1. Why Are You Interested In This Role?
I have always been passionate about software support. This desire pushed me to study at the University of Michigan where I graduated with a bachelor’s degree in computer engineering. I love offering assistance to clients and other staff to navigate through performance issues as they work with their computers. I have been following your latest updates and I can say that your company is doing great things in software development and I would want to be part of it. I desire to grow and improve in this field and I believe that your company can offer me challenges that can facilitate my growth.
2. Are You Aware Of The Duties You Will Be Undertaking Should You Get This Job?
Yes. I went through the job posting for this role and I am well qualified to perform the roles that appeared there. As a software support engineer, I will be providing technical help to clients or employees in your company. I will use the experience and knowledge that I have to diagnose computer performance issues and generate solutions to assist others going through these issues. I will also address technical issues regarding software function, implementation, and upgrades. Additionally, I will aim at resolving customer problems or complaints and creating product problem reports as well as troubleshooting documents for every issue. I will also be working closely with other development teams to pinpoint and find a solution to any issue that can arise in the course of developing software. Additionally, I will involve myself in training classes to educate clients about software products.
3. What Is Informatica?
Informatica is a data processing tool used for ETL to educe, transform as well as load processing. Informatica is the leading software for data governance and data processing. Informatica is being used in business intelligence, data warehouse, and data integration between the business apps domain.
4. Highlight The Qualities You Needs To Be Successful In This Role.
To succeed in this role, I need to demonstrate strong troubleshooting, analytical, and problem-solving skills. I must also exercise strong organizational, customer service, and communication skills. Additionally, I should have the ability to work independently and with a team and be attentive to details.
5. Why Do You Feel You Are The Most Suited For This Role?
Besides being a critical thinker; I possess very strong analytical, organizational, and decision-making skills. I hold a bachelor’s degree in computer science. Previously, I worked as a software developer for four years. During this time, I gained experience working with different coding languages such as JSON, Ajax, HTML, and Python JQuery. My solid understanding of software development has made me competent in this field. I am flexible in the workplace. I believe that given a chance, I will make a success in this role.
6. Describe Your Typical Day At Work
In my current role, I perform various tasks including installing patches, service packs, and domains. I also upgrade systems, troubleshoot logs, conduct maintenance checks, and develop automated scripts. Additionally, I liaise with vendors regarding application issues, monitor the performance of servers and related applications, create SQL queries, deploy Web applications, and manage distributed systems and sessions. Moreover, I configure node managers as well as configure and administer clusters.
7. Tell Us The Difference Between Mapping Parameter And Mapping Variables
Before starting a session, you specify a constant value using a mapping parameter. The value of a mapping parameter stays constant during the whole session. A mapping parameter is declared and used in a mapping or mapplet when it is used. Then provide the parameter’s value in a parameter file. A mapping variable, as opposed to a mapping parameter, indicates a value that can vary throughout the course of the session. At the conclusion of each successful session run, the Integration Service stores the value of a mapping variable to the repository and utilizes that value the following time the session is executed. A mapping variable must be declared in the mapping or mapplet before it can be used.
8. What Is Mapping In Informatica?
Mapping constitutes a set of source and target objects that is created using a series of transformations. These transformations are created using a collection of rules that specify the flow of the data as well as how the data is put into the targets. The set of objects included in mapping in Informatica are:
- Source definition – The source definition outlines the structure and properties of the source, including its type, fundamental data types, and other details.
- Transformation – This describes the method through which the original data is altered, and several functions may be used in the transformation.
- Target Definition – This object specifies the location at which the data will ultimately be loaded.
- Links – Links are used to connect the target tables and various transformations with the source definition.
9. Highlight Some Features Of Informatica
Informatica has the following features:
- It offers high security to the data stored with easy accessibility and a tracking facility
- It offers automation of deployments and accurate deliverables
- It allows recovery of data and has customized access permissions
- It enables easy data monitoring and maintenance
- It allows high visibility for visual data
- It contains a centralized cloud server
- Provide complete end-end visibility
- It allows the reusability of data
- It provides parallel processing of computing
10. Why Do We Need Informatica?
Informatica makes it easy to view front and back-end data established on a specific collection of rules. Informatica provides a vibrant assortment of structures such as data integration from multiple features and operations at the raw level of data. Informatica comprises the characteristics of metadata hence allowing protection of the operations of processes and data.
11. Explain How To Implement ETL Tool In Informatica
The Informatica ETL tool is implemented in three phases.
The information is taken from several data sources. The common data-source formats include relational databases, flat files, XML, information management systems (IMS), and other data structures.
A series of rules and logical functions are used on the retrieved data to prepare and load it into a target data source. When data is cleaned, the target source only receives accurate data.
Here, data is loaded into the target data source.
The start and end of any one of these three phases do not depend on the others. These phases are carried out simultaneously.
12. List The Popular Informatica Products That You Are Aware Of
Organizations can rely on Informatica to realize their data potential and drive maximum business imperatives. Personally, I am aware of different Informatica products such as Informatica Data Management Cloud, Informatica PowerCenter, Informatica Data Integration Hub, Informatica Cloud Data Quality, Informatica Data Quality, Informatica Cloud Data Integration, and Informatica Customer 360.
13. Kindly Tell Us How Informatica Can Be Used In An Organization
Informatica can be used in an organization to migrate data, especially when transferring data from the traditional system to a modern database system. An organization can also use Informatica in data warehousing. This is because Informatica is a tool that can move data from the production system to the data warehouse. Informatica can also be used in data integration including data from file-based or multiple source systems.
14. What Is Domain?
In my opinion, a domain is a network of devices and computers that are managed by one set of authorities and has specific guidelines. A domain is managed by a specific company with its own internet presence as well as the IP address. Every domain has its domain name. Besides, the domain can also be described as a collection of nodes and services such as integration services, repository services, nodes, etc.
15. Informatica Cloud. What Is It?
Informatica Cloud consists of a data integration platform or solution that uses software as a service (SaaS) software. Databases, file feeds, flat files, on-premises, cloud-based apps, and even social media platforms may all be accessed using Informatica Cloud. Informatica Cloud data integration, provides reliable, secure, and easily available data to support more insightful business choices.
16. What Does MDM Stand For In Informatica?
MDM is an abbreviation for master data management. It is a technique for handling all of an organization’s data in a single, seamless system. Data in various forms collected from diverse data sources are utilized by MDM to assure data trustworthiness. Additionally, it is in charge of data projects, digital transformation, AI training, and decision-making using data analytics. All crucial data may be connected to the master file via master data management. After being properly established, MDM is in charge of distributing data throughout the company. MDM is employed as a successful data integration approach.
17. Define Informatica Transformations?
Informatica transformations refer to repository objects that have the ability to produce, read, modify, or send data to any designated destination structures, including files, tables, or other targets. The goal of transformation in Informatica is to change the source data to meet the needs of the destination system. It also makes sure that the data being fed into the target is of high quality.
18. Describe The Core Components Of Informatica IDQ
Informatica IDQ has two main components:
- Data Quality Workbench
- Quality Data Server
The data quality workbench facilitates designing, testing, and deploying data quality procedures are done using the data quality workbench. Workbench enables quick data inquiry and testing of data quality procedures while testing and implementing plans as needed. Data Quality Server, on the other hand, is utilized to facilitate file and plan sharing as well as to execute applications in a networked setting. Workbench and the Data Quality Server interact through TCP/IP. The Data Quality Server allows networking through service domains.
19. What Is The Difference Between Router And Filter?
- Filter transformation does not pay attention to division whereas router transformation offers the division of the incoming data into multiple groups.
- Filter transformation does not give the default groups. On the other side, router transformation does not block the record used
- Router transformation offers equally inclusive groups to obtain similar records while filter transformation restricts the incoming record
- Filter transformations are used to unmatch the routine condition while router transformation permits the record that does not match the routing conditions
20. What Type Of Repositories Can Be Created Using Informatica Repository Manager?
Informatica makes use of a repository manager to control the updates and upgrades of the software system. The repositories in Informatica include:
- Global repository- This repository provides a centralized domain that enables it to be shared across multiple platforms. The objects are shared through global shortcuts whereas domains are fixed to enable an easy transaction
- Standalone Repository –This repository includes all functions that are not related to it.
- Local repository – this repository enables the repository to be provided within the domain through the global repository.
- Versioned repository- this repository is used for the local and global objects because it allows the use of version control.
21. Discuss The Advantages & Disadvantages Of Star Schema
There are many factors a data warehouse developer considers to know the type of schema to use. Every schema has its advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of star schema include the following:
- It’s easy to understand and build
- Star schema allows faster access to data
- It does not require complicated joins when querying data
- It is easy to derive business insights
- It functions well with analytical tools such as OLAP
Disadvantages of the Star Schema are:
- It has limited possibilities for complicated queries development
- Multiple relationships are not supported
- It provides data that can become inconsistent at times. Thus, there can arise integrity issues.
- It needs more disks space to store data
- It is hard to maintain a data warehouse due to data redundancy
22. Describe The Various Types Of Software Maintenance
The four types of software maintenance include adaptive, perfective, corrective, and preventive.
- Adaptive: this type of maintenance is performed to review the changes made in the software and hardware environment. It is crucial when there are changes in the software which can arise from changes in an operating system, cloud storage, software dependencies, or hardware.
- Perfective: This maintenance focuses on making changes to new or existing new user requirements. As customers and other users interact with the applications, they may suggest other features that are necessary for the software. Perfective maintenance takes care of adding and removing features to enhance the user experience.
- Corrective: This maintenance is performed to address the faults and errors within a software application that can affect other parts of software such as code, logic, and design. Most of these corrections come from bug reports created by users and customers. Thus corrective software maintenance enables the developer to spot them before a user or a customer does hence protecting a reputation of a brand.
- Preventive: This maintenance is done to avoid any problems in future implementations. It helps in making adaptations to the software so that it can perform for a longer time as it continues to adjust and change. Through this maintenance, it is easy to reduce risks related to operating software for an extended time enabling it to be more maintainable, stable, and understandable.
23. Take Me Through The Software Maintenance Process
Most of the models for the software maintenance process follow the steps below:
- Identification and tracing
In this phase, the software developer identifies the part of the software that requires to be modified or maintained. The specific fault may also be user-generated.
In this phase, the developer tries to analyze and understand the suggested modification as well as the potential impacts of the potential change. The developer conducts the cost analysis to see whether or not the change is financially worthwhile.
In this stage, the developer designs the new changes using the specification and requirements sets aside.
During this stage, the programmers implement the new modules.
- System testing
This is where the module and the entire system are tested. The system testing is done before launching the software.
- Acceptance Testing
In this phase, users and customers test the modification for acceptance purposes. It is an important stage since customers and users can spot any ongoing issue and suggest recommendations for more efficient implementations as well as changes.
This is the stage at which the changes reach the users. It includes new installation of the software and in some cases software updates.
24. What Are Reference Dictionaries Used For in Informatica Data Quality Projects
Reference dictionaries can be used by projects to detect, fix, or get rid of faulty or redundant data values. Projects involving Informatica Data Quality can utilize three categories of reference data. These are standard dictionary files, database dictionaries, and third-party reference data.
25. What Are The Drawbacks Of Informatica Platform Staging?
Some disadvantages of Informatica platform staging are:
- It might be challenging to maintain connections for each Base Object folder in the Developer tool.
- There are no Hub Stage settings like audit trails, hard delete detection, or delta detection.
- Columns created by the system must be populated manually.
Contrary to the Hub Stage Process, invalid lookup values aren’t discarded when the data loads to stage. The Hub Load procedure rejects and captures the record with the incorrect value.
The above Top 25 questions and answers are here to give you a snapshot of what to expect in an Informatica interview. However, you will need to go through the mission, vision, and core values of the company to get to know them better. This will give you more insight into what to expect during the interview.