Almost every designer knows about Figma. This cloud-based design platform has become increasingly popular due to its prototyping ability. It also allows designers, developers, and stakeholders to collaborate in real-time for the timely execution of projects. It’s important to anticipate the questions you will likely be asked while preparing for a Figma interview. To make your work easier, we have researched common Fi9gma interview questions and compiled a list of the most common. We hope that this article will help you pass your upcoming interview. Let’s get started!
1. What Do You Know About Figma?
Figma is a cloud-based design and collaboration platform that offers various features, such as design templates, vector editing tools, design libraries, and designs systems that designers use to create unique products and designs. It also has several collaboration features that allow users to work with team members and stakeholders in real time for faster execution of design projects.
2. Walk Us Through How You Normally Share Designs In Figma
Figma allows easier sharing of designs with team members and stakeholders thanks to its collaboration features. All I have to do is create a share link and customize it with specific permissions depending on what I need. I would choose edit access if I need other designers to contribute to or better my design and view-only access if I want them to go through it only. They can also leave feedback directly on my design using the platform’s commenting feature.
3. Differentiate Figma From Sketch
Even though Figma and Sketch serve the same purpose, they differ in the following ways:
- Figma is an online tool accessible through a browser, while Sketch is a local design software that has to be downloaded.
- As a web-based tool, Figma can be used on any operating system or platform, making it more versatile than Sketch, a Mac-based application.
- Figma has in-built collaboration features, while Sketch requires extra plugins for collaboration.
- Sketch has a larger user community and plugins than Figma
- The sketch is a locally installed program that can work offline, while Figma can only work online.
- Figma offers instructional videos and how-to guides for new users, while Sketch offers few information guides in its official channels.
4. How Do You Collaborate With Team Members On A Figma Project?
Figma has real-time collaboration features that allow teamwork when working on design projects. I normally invite team members to a design file, allowing them to work on it simultaneously. I also urge them to use the commenting and annotation features for further communication and feedback.
5. Can You Organize Design Files In Figma?
Yes. The platform offers several options for file organization. One can use projects, frames, layers, and pages depending on the volume. The highest-level organization units in Figma are files, as they can contain several pages. They are followed by pages, which have several frames for organizing design elements. The last unit, layers, helps organize single design elements within frames.
6. Why Would You Advise Someone To Switch To Figma?
Some of the reasons I would advise someone to choose Figma over other options in the market include the following:
- Version Control- This design platform has a built-in version control feature that allows access and review of a design file’s change history, allowing teams to work on the most updated design versions.
- Prototyping ability: Figma is undoubtedly one of the best platforms for prototyping in the market. Designers can easily create interactive prototypes without extra software and then share and test them with stakeholders and team members.
- Collaboration: Figma is the best option for any design team that prefers real-time collaboration. It has several features for real-time collaboration when working on design projects, saving design teams the need to keep sending files back and forth.
- Auto-layout- Figma has an auto-layout feature that allows automatic adjustment of a design element’s layout, subsequently saving time and ensuring consistency across designs.
7. Differentiate Between A Frame And A Group In Figma
Even though frames and groups help organize design elements in Figma, they serve different functions. As the name suggests, a group brings together design elements for organizational purposes. However, it does not have a design function. On the other hand, a frame is a design element container that can be used to create a design section or layout.
8. What Do You Know About Figma Components
Figma has reusable design elements collectively known as components that can be used across several designs. They include icons, buttons, and form fields. To create a component, a designer selects a design element and then right-clicks it to create a component. They can then use the drag-and-drop feature to customize the component and use it in other designs. It’s also important to note that a change in the component is reflected across all the designs using it.
9. Why Do You Think Figma Is Widely Used?
I have been using Figma for quite some time now, and I have to say that it is an upgrade compared to some of the design platforms I have used. I believe it has been widely accepted because of its significant features that allow seamless design and collaboration. Its community also consists of several experienced designers and engineers that produce top-notch plugins and ready-to-use products. All I have to do is choose the product I need, copy it onto the design, and customize it as needed.
10. Differentiate Between UX And UI Design In Figma
UX design deals with the user experience, i.e., it considers a user’s experience when interacting with a service or product, extending to the overall feel of the experience. On the other hand, UI design deals with the user interface. It looks into the general outlook and operation of a product. UI designers, therefore, develop interactive, visually beautiful, and intuitive interfaces, while UX designers discover and solve user problems.
11. Define Wireframe In Figma And Differentiate Between Low And High Wireframes
The Figma wireframe is a pre-built screen comprising diagrams and prototypes that use buttons, headers, lines, and navigation bars to demonstrate an application’s main features and user interface. It saves time since the designer does not have to develop the design from scratch. Regarding the second part of the question, high-fidelity wireframes represent a product’s feel and appearance in the last design phases for current assumptions testing. On the other hand, low-fidelity wireframes are small prototypes that visualize requirements at the start of the project to ensure correct content.
12. Walk Us Through How You Normally Use Figma’s Prototyping Feature
Figma has a prototyping feature that allows designers to create interactive design prototypes. To create a prototype in the platform, I normally add clickable areas linking to other pages or screens, popularly known as hotspots, to a design, then use the toolbar’s prototype bar to define each hotspot’s animations and interactions. After creating the prototype, I preview it to test the user experience and make the necessary changes.
13. What Are Some Of The Advantages Of Figma?
Figma has several advantages, explaining why it is one of the most preferred design and collaboration platforms in the UI/UX community. First, it is easily accessible, as those wishing to use it can access it on several platforms. Second, learning to use the platform is quite easy as it has many educational resources beginners can use. Third, Figma has features such as real-time collaboration and flexible vector manipulation, which support remote teamwork and excellent UI design. Lastly, developers can move from one step to the next with only a few clicks, a feature I find excessively useful.
14. Can You Now Mention Some Of The Drawbacks Of Figma
Even though Figma has several advantages, it has certain drawbacks that should not be ignored. First, one needs an internet connection because it is a web-based platform. It does not have an offline mode, unlike platforms such as Sketch. Second, Figma is relatively newer than other platforms and has a smaller integration library than its competitors. It started offering applications and integrations in 2019, less than a decade ago.
15. Explains Figma Libraries And Constraints Features
The constraint feature in Figma allows the creation of designs that can adapt to different screen orientations and sizes. A designer only needs to select a design element and then use the constraints panel to customize the element’s behavior when a screen’s size and orientation change. Through this feature, images can proportionally resize when there is a change in screen size. On the other hand, the libraries feature lets designers create and manage shared design elements across several designs. The designer only needs to add the library to the design file and use it to access shared design elements such as typography. A change in the library reflects on all the designs that use the library, promoting design efficiency and consistency.
16. Walk Us Through Figma’s Design System Feature
Figma’s design system feature allows designers to develop a centralized system for managing design styles, elements, and components across several designs. Creating a design system in Figma requires the designer to create a shared design components and elements library using Figma’s team library feature and then using the design styles feature to generate a shared set of styles. Afterward, they can enjoy an efficient and consistent design process that works for different design styles and elements.
17. Mention All The Collaboration Tools In Figma
Figma has three collaboration tools that allow developers to work on the same file simultaneously. They include:
- Figma’s inspect feature- Figma has an Inspect feature that allows developers to view detailed information about every design element, including the colors, fonts, and dimensions.
- Code Export Feature- Figma has a code export feature that developers can use to export Swift, CSS, or Android XML code for the design.
- The design file share feature- Figma allows designers to share a design file with other developers, granting them the power to view and inspect its design elements.
Collaboration allows designers and developers to work together, ensuring accurate translation of a design into code.
18. What Do You Understand By Figma’s Versioning Feature?
Figma’s design versioning feature allows developers to track periodic design changes. When a design is saved in Figma, a new version is created. If necessary, designers can access the previous versions by clicking on the ‘Versions’ button in the toolbar to reveal the design’s version history. They can view previous versions, restore them, or, better yet, make a side-to-side comparison with the current one.
19. Define Plugins And Design Tokens In Figma
A Figma plugin is a third-party tool that extends its functionality. The platform has a plugin menu where designers can select and install a plugin by following the provided prompts. Once installed, the plugins add new functionality or features to the design. Regarding the second part of the question, design tokens are used to define and manage design elements across several platforms. They can be created and exported to different platforms to define elements such as topography and colors, ensuring consistency across platforms and designs.
20. What Can You Tell Us About Figma’s Auto-Layout Features
Figma has several important features, such as the auto-layout feature, which allows designers to generate responsive and flexible designs that can easily adapt to different content lengths and screen sizes. It is activated by selecting a group or frame and then enabling the auto-layout option from the toolbar. Once active, designers can add design elements to a frame or group and use the feature to automatically alter the element’s layouts and spacing to match the screen size or content.
21. What Can You Tell Us About Figma’s Developer Handoff
Figma has a developer handoff feature that manages handoff, saving developers from using separate tools such as Zeplin. All they have to do is open the file and click the code mode icon in the right bar, regardless of the granted access. Selecting an element with the ‘code mode’ active reveals all the necessary information needed to implement it and additional information regarding its position in relation to other elements. The developer handoff, therefore, offers easy access even though the generated code cannot be copy-pasted in its entirety.
22. Walk Us Through How To Use Figma’s Vector Editing, Grid, And Layout Tools
Here is how to use the three tools:
- Vector editing tools- Figma has vector editing tools that allow designers to create and edit vector paths and shapes. After selecting a shape or path, they can use the ‘vector tool’ in the toolbar to modify or add lines, curves, and points. Additionally, they can use the included Boolean operations tool to generate more sophisticated shapes by combining or subtracting shapes.
- Grid and Layout Tools- Figma’s grid and layout tools allow designers to create and align design elements precisely. The ‘Layout grid’ tool adds a grid to the design for spacing and alignment, while the ‘Frame grid’ tool helps create the best grid for the design’s layout, leading to a more responsive design.
23. How Do You Use Figma’s Image Editing And Text Tools?
Figma has editing and text tools that serve the following purposes:
- Text tools- Figma’s text tools add and format texts in designs. Once the designer selects a text element, they use the text tool to add or modify text. Additionally, they can use the ‘Properties’ panel to format text elements such as color, size, font, and alignment.
- Image Editing- Figma has editing tools that allow the modification and adjustment of images in different designs. The designer selects an image element and uses the Image tool in the toolbar to adjust its position, size, and cropping. Additionally, they can use the ‘Effects’ panel to add blur, filters, and other effects.
- What Do You Know About Figma’s Color Picker And Commenting Features?
- Commenting Feature- Figma’s commenting feature paves the way for collaboration by allowing designers, stakeholders, and clients to leave feedback and comments on a design. Once they select a design element, they click on the ‘comment tool’ in the toolbar to leave comments, which other team members can reply to or resolve. All the comments can be viewed and managed in the comments panel.
- Color Picker tool- Figma has a color picker feature that allows designers to select and apply colors to design elements. They should select a design element and choose the fill or stroke options depending on what they want and then use the color picker to choose a color from a wheel.
25. Why Have You Majored In UI Design?
UI design perfectly blends creativity and technology, which are my main fascinations, and allows me to create aesthetically-pleasing and intuitive interfaces that enhance user experience using my technical skills and artistic abilities. I also love that every UI design project has unique needs and challenges, allowing me to work on my creativity, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
Figma remains one of the most important tools in modern-day application design. Therefore, you must understand its concepts, features, and applications to stay competitive in the job market. We hope the above 25 interviews will help you answer any questions that come your way during the interview. Remember to stay calm and confident while tackling the interview questions. We wish you all the best in your upcoming interview.