If you are prepared for a Service Now interview and are unsure which questions are likely to be asked; you should read this article. Service Now Development is the tool that offers developers the means to build applications. Individuals can learn, develop, and deploy apps using the resources. Service now management is where application-related incidents are controlled. There is a requirement for superior technical skills due to the intense competition. Below is a list of answers to the most often asked Service Now job interview questions, which will help you prepare for the interview.
1. What Is Your Understanding Of The Term ServiceNow?
ServiceNow is a cloud-based IT Service Management (ITSM) application. Automating IT service applications and processes offers a single system of record for IT services, operations, and business management. In addition, all IT services areas are theoretically supported by the ServiceNow module ecosystem, giving us a comprehensive picture of services and resources. It, therefore, permits extensive control over the optimal allocation of resources and process flow design for these services.
2. What Does The Term “Application” Mean In ServiceNow?
An application service is a collection of linked servers and apps that are put up to provide a service to the company. Application services can be internal—like a company’s email system—or external—like a company website. Application services represent instances of a business application or system in many development environments, such as development, test, or production, in these environments. For example, an application in ServiceNow is pre-packaged service delivery and business process management solution. To put it another way, we can say that an application is a group of modules that provides data on those modules. As an illustration, the Incident application offers details about the Incident Management procedure.
3. What Is The Idea Of Impersonating A User? How Is It Helpful?
When you impersonate a user, you can log in to the system as that user and get a sense of how the servicenow UI is configured for that user. Impersonating a user also allows you to perform other actions as that user. It comes in very handy during the testing process. Take, for instance, the scenario in which you are required to test whether or not a user can access the change form.
When an administrator impersonates another user, ServiceNow records the administrator’s activities. Therefore, you do not need to log out of your current session and then log back in with the credentials associated with that user to test the impersonation functionality.
4. What Is The Meaning Of Coalescing?
When we change a map into a field map, one of the properties of a field that we employ is called coalescing. You can use a field (or group of fields) as a unique key by merging on the field (or set of fields). If a match is found by using the coalesce field, the information that is being imported will be added to the previously existing record and updated. If a match is not discovered, a new record will be added to the database as a replacement.
5. What Exactly Is Meant By “Dictionary Override”?
Dictionary Overrides enables the modification of several field characteristics in an extended table. The task table can be enlarged, for instance, to include the changing table. Within the task table, there is a field that is titled status, and it is read-only. When we alter the form to include this field, it will indicate that it is read-only. By utilizing the dictionary override, we can change this so that it can be read at least once. Similarly, other properties may be configured for the fields that make up an extended table.
6. What Is The Significance Of An Updated Set, In Your Opinion?
An updated set is a compilation of changes. These update sets are capable of being exchanged between instances. For example, suppose we made configuration changes in our development environment and want to make the same changes in our test environment. In that case, we can record all the configuration changes in an updated set. In addition, we would transfer this updated set to the test environment as opposed to manually making changes in the test environment.
7. What Does Record Producer Mean In ServiceNow?
A record producer is a sort of catalog item that enables the creation of task-based records from the service catalog. You can generate a change record or an issue record, for example, using a record producer. In addition, recording companies offer an alternate method to create records via the service catalog.
8. According To Your Knowledge, What Is A ServiceNow Business Rule?
Business Rules are server-side logic that executes whenever database records are retrieved, modified, inserted, or removed. Business Rules respond to database interactions irrespective of access, such as users engaging with records via forms or lists, web services, or data imports. Business Rules do not monitor forms or form fields, but their logic is executed when forms interact with the database, for example, when a record is saved, updated, or submitted. When establishing a business rule, the most important consideration is when and on what action it must execute.
9. What Are The Various Types Of Search Accessible In ServiceNow?
Zing provides multiple search interfaces and search operators for text searches. The following search interfaces are available:
- Lists: locate items in a list;
- Find records in several tables using a single search field and a global text search.
- Find knowledge articles using the knowledge base.
- Filter navigation: Filter things in the application’s navigator.
- Using search screens, utilize a form-like interface to search for records in a table.
The search operators include the following :
Boolean Logic Gates: Include or exclude search phrases when conducting global text searches.
Quotation marks: Filter search results to include only exact matches for a phrase of one or more words.
Special Characters: Expand search results to include any character that is not a space. Both single-character and multiple-character wildcards are supported.
10. Which Search Method Is Used To Locate Text Or Records Within ServiceNow?
Zing is the text indexing and search engine used for all ServiceNow text searches. It is the default search engine for Now Platform record data searches. Its engine is fully composed of ServiceNow code and is based on the relational approach.
The Zing text search index is partitioned across many database shards for parallel querying. The search engine logic prioritizes relevance scoring and can produce quick results. Scores also incorporate weighting for particular indexed categories, including title, brief description, and metadata. In addition, it offers both type-ahead search suggestions and global search suggestions.
11. What Is The Definition Of Metrics In ServiceNow?
Metrics are the tools utilized in ServiceNow for recording and measuring the workflow of individual records. In addition, it assesses the efficiency of the various procedures involved in IT service management. For example, calculating the amount of time it takes to solve an incident is one example of how metrics are used to quantify the efficiency of a process. In this case, the user can evaluate the effectiveness of the incident resolution process.
12. What Is The Correct Processing Order For Record ACL Rules When Using ServiceNow?
When a user seeks access to an object (such as by loading a list or form), access control lists (ACLs) are reviewed to decide whether or not the user can view the object. First, the system determines if an applicable ACL rule has been discovered. Unless it was, the system permits access (except when the high-security plugin is enabled or when the default ACLs are set too restrictive rather than permissive). Once a pertinent ACL is identified, the system examines the access request as follows:
- Does the user possess one of the roles mentioned in the ACL’s embedded required role list?
- Is the Condition outlined in the ACL valid?
- Does the script within the ACL’s Script field return true?
- If each of these three conditions returns true
13. Is It Possible To Have Multiple Functions Listen To The Same Thing Simultaneously?
Yes, it is possible to have many functions listen to the same thing, but there is no assurance that the functions entered will be performed in the correct order. It is impossible to predict what sequence your event handlers will run when you use many functions that listen to the same thing.
14. When A Default Update Set Is Marked As Complete, What Occurs?
When a user marks the Default set for a scope as Ignored or Completed (which is not recommended), the system immediately generates a new default set for the scope. When each of the following circumstances is met, the system generates a new default update set for a scope: and therefore, they modify the application scope.
Always ensuring that no instance updates are lost, the system ensures that Default is provided for the user’s current scope. If the system determines that a default update set does not exist for the current scope, it will generate one and set the Default set to true.
15. What Is ServiceNow Performance Analytics?
ServiceNow Performance Analytics is an in-platform process optimization solution that enables the creation of management dashboards, the reporting of KPIs and metrics, and the answering of critical business questions to improve service delivery quality and save costs. There is interactive analysis that permits rapid exploration of data through visuals. In addition, in-form analytics integrates performance insights into forms so that users can access relevant metrics in context and make more informed decisions.
KPI Composer guarantees that your performance management plan is aligned with corporate objectives and has executive sponsor support. Utilize KPI Composer to bridge the gap between designing your performance measurement strategy and implementing it via Performance Analytics. Start with your business objectives and plan all of your components, from indications to the final dashboard, using them as a guide.
16. What Steps Can One Take To Restrict Users’ Options To Post Attachments In ServiceNow?
The following are steps that one can take to prevent ServiceNow users from adding attachments such as images:
- Select System Properties > Security from the menu.
- Locate the List of roles (separated by commas) that can create attachments: property in the Attachment restrictions and behavior section (glide.attachment.role).
- Enter commas to separate several roles.
- Attachments can only be added to a record by the roles listed in this attribute. If no roles are specified, attachments can be uploaded to ServiceNow forms by all roles. Finally, click the save button to save your changes.
17. What Does The Cascade Variable Checkbox In The Order Guide Mean?
Cascade Variables (once the checkbox is selected) are used to enable the use of the same value in different catalog items by pulling from the first form.
Cascading enables the values given for variables on the initial order form to be sent to the corresponding variables in the catalog items ordered. A variable on the first-order form, for instance, encourages the buyer to enter a delivery location. If cascading is enabled, the value of this variable will populate the delivery location fields for each ordered item.
Check the box for Cascade variables while designing the order guide. Then, create variables on the catalog items whose names correspond to the associated order guide variables. When a consumer puts an order, the variables on the items inherit the values of variables with identical names in the order guide.
18. What Is The Function Of The Client Transaction Timings Plugin?
The Client Transaction Timings plugin enriches the system logs with additional information regarding the duration of client-server transactions. By providing information on how time was spent during the transaction, performance issues can be traced back to their source by identifying where time was consumed.
19. What Is The Difference Between The ServiceNow Delete Multiple () And Deleterecord () Methods?
These are the primary methods for removing one or more database records. In ServiceNow, the deletion of records should be an infrequent occurrence. For historical and tracking purposes, it is preferable to deactivate or otherwise mark a record as no longer in use wherever possible.
Both delete record() and delete multiple() accept no parameters because they are invoked as methods of a specific GlideRecord object. However, here is where the similarities end, as the behavior and application of these two systems, are extremely distinct.
DeleteRecord() is used to delete a single record from the database (contained within a GlideRecord). On the other side, DeleteMultiple() is used to delete all database records that meet a particular query. Nonetheless, it is essential to remember not to use usedeleteMultiple() on tables containing currency fields. Instead, delete each of these records individually using delete record ().
20. Which Role Is Required To Create A Baseline And Access It?
The ecmdb admin role is essential for creating and gaining access to baselines. CMDB baseline provides capabilities that enable the administrator to comprehend and manage configuration items (CIs) changes in the CMDB.
They can establish a baseline, a snapshot of the CMDB configuration elements. They can review the modifications made to the configuration item since the last baseline. The admin can establish Multiple baselines, and the system logs the changes made per baseline. Developing a baseline captures the CI’s properties and all of its first-level interactions. Any modifications to the basic CI or associated CIs are logged and shown. New CIs are not immediately included in a baseline.
21. What Are The Various Types Of ServiceNow Reports That You Can Generate?
In ServiceNow, you may generate the following sorts of reports:
- Bar reports that let you compare results across different data dimensions.
- Using forms such as pies, Pie, and Donut reports illustrate the relationship between the parts and the whole data collection.
- Time Series reports illustrate information through time. In addition to data from your instances and imported data sources, MetricBase data may also be used in time series reports.
- Multidimensional reports visualize data across dimensions in a single table or graph.
- Scores represent a single data point across intervals or as a single value.
- In statistical reporting, data are represented by statistical values such as medians and means.
- Other types of reports contain calendars, maps, and lists.
22. How Does ServiceNow Identify Incoming Emails?
Inbound email is an email delivered to ServiceNow from any user. ServiceNow analyzes incoming email messages and takes action depending on Inbound Email flows. ServiceNow examines incoming emails to ascertain:
- The message type is indicated if the message is a reply, forward, or new.
- If the message contains a reference to an existing record.
Determine whether the message is a reply, forward, or new. ServiceNow examines the subject line of incoming emails for prefixes that indicate reply or forward.
To configure the prefixes, open System Mailboxes > Administration > Email Properties from the Application Navigator. In the Inbound Email Configuration, set the reply and forward prefixes using a case-insensitive comma-separated list. Typically, system administrators set the instance prefix.
23. What Exactly Is Meant By “Domain Separation”?
Domain separation is a method for separating data into logically defined domains (optionally, management by domain). For example, customer XYZ has two businesses and uses a single instance of ServiceNow for both. They do not want users from one business to access data from another. Here, we may configure domain separation to separate the records of the two businesses.
24. What Is The Difference Between User Interface Policy And Data Policy?
UI Policies are user-friendly for controlling whether form fields are required, read-only, or even displayed. The UI Policy record resides in the UI Policy database and consists of a set of conditions, a brief explanation, and a relationship to another record or set of records. It does not contain information regarding the activity to be performed, though. Data policy, on the other hand, is a policy that outlines how an organization manages personal data. A data policy’s principal goal is to provide consumers with clarity regarding how their data is processed, protected, and shared. UI policy is triggered when a record is added or modified via a ServiceNow UI, i.e., ServiceNow forms. In contrast, a data policy is triggered anytime a record is inserted or updated.
25. How Can I Enable Or Disable An Application In ServiceNow?
In the application navigator, you can enable or disable an application menu or module by performing the following steps:
- First, select All > System Definition > Application Menus from the All menu.
- Click All in the breadcrumbs to display both active and dormant application menus when enabling an application menu (remove the default filter condition).
- Click the title you choose. The application menu record opens, and the Modules linked list displays the application navigator’s modules.
- Enable or disable the application’s menu and modules
And now that you’ve mastered the most common Servicenow interview questions, you’re nearly set with the sought-after skill sets that hiring managers seek. I hope these questions helped broaden your knowledge and prepare you for your upcoming interview.